Monday, June 22, 2015

Media Monday: Grand Romantic by Nate Ruess




Can I just start with the fact that I adore Nate Ruess, and I have loved him since long ago, back when he led The Format straight to my heart?! His music will always hold a special place in my heart as it got me through so many years of teenage angst and sadness turning to a hopeful lust for love. When I heard his work with Fun, I knew the voice and immediately bought everything I could find from them. Both of their albums were played on repeat for months, and I just stopped listening to anything else. This album from Nate has been nothing less.

This man is so incredibly talented vocally and lyrically. His falsetto always amazes me, and his voice always sends chills down my back. His music is so different from anyone else's in this theatrical and emotional manner that I will never grow tired of. Every song, every word is sung with this power that reaches the deepest parts of my heart and soul. His voice is so unique and has these little imperfections, details really that make it that much better to listen to.

I love that he ties certain songs back to other songs that he has written. I love that the music makes me smile while listening, but my heart just wants to cry out. I remember hearing him say that he was excited to roll out some songs that provided this hopefulness instead of the sad songs he has written in the past. This album definitely shows his romanticism. While I still can hear the sadness, there is hope.

Lyrically speaking, "Grand Romantic" is definitely the song that resonates with me. But, "It Only Gets Much Worse" is the song that I can't stop thinking about and could play over and over and over.


"All your love may fade away
All you'll become may all go to waste
So I can't stand to hear you say it hurts
When it only gets much worse
It only gets much worse"


I guess I just think about how much I go through with my depression, how much I know it can hurt and how it always feels like it will always continue down the spiral of pain and bitterness. Even with such lyrics, singing them still brings hope in some strange way.


All in all, I love this album. I am impressed with his ability to do all that he does. He is someone I look to for inspiration in my own music and vocals. Nate Ruess is someone that I want to tell everyone about, but I still want to keep him all to myself. He truly never ceases to amaze me. Check out his album, Grand Romantic, and please tell me what you think!
Nate Ruess' Website

No comments:

Post a Comment